Front-page photos - The Evangelist
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Subscribe
  • Contact Us
  • Diocese of Albany



The Evangelist
Tuesday, November 29, 2022


search sponsored by
Front-page photos
CHURCHES: A PHOTO ESSAY St. Luke’s Church
CHURCHES: A PHOTO ESSAY St. Luke’s Church
St. Luke’s Church on 1241 State St. in Schenectady was established in 1916 and celebrated its 100th ­anniversary in 2016. The first Mass was celebrated on July 30, 1916 at 2 p.m. in Tuxedo Hall on State Street. That first Mass had 15 parishionioners; today more than 1,100 families are members. Due to demand, a basement church was constructed and the first Mass was celebrated on Palm Sunday, March 28, 1920. As the community continued to grow, the cornerstone of the present church was dedicated in 1936 by Bishop Edmond F. Gibbons.
The current pastor, Rev. Dominic P. Isopo was appointed by Bishop Howard J. Hubbard on Aug. 8, 1994. The culturally rich and diverse parish is home to various ministries, including: The Martha Ministry, the Urban Ministry and the Daily Bread Food Pantry, which is the second-largest food pantry in Schenectady County. Part of the church’s mission statement reads “St. Luke’s parish is a culturally, economically, and socially diverse community of baptized women, men and children, who, inspired by the wisdom of the Gospel and by the tradition of the Catholic Church, are committed to fulfilling the mission and ministry of Jesus.” Source: st.lukesschenectady.org
Submit A Comment
* indicates a required field
*
All photos © 2018 by their respective copyright owners.
No photograph may be used without permission.



The Evangelist, 40 North Main Ave., Albany, NY, 12203-1422 | PHONE: 518-453-6688| FAX: 518-453-8448
Copyright © 2022 | Evangelist.org | All Rights Reserved.