Sister Marie Burns, DC
Sister Marie Burns, DC
Sister Marie Burns, DC, 88, died at St. Louise House in Albany on July 29. She was born April 5, 1933 in Trenton, N.J., to Mary Margaret (McLaughlin) and George Joseph Burns and grew up with two brothers and two sisters.

After graduating from Cathedral High School in Trenton in 1951, she spent eight years as the secretary in the Chancery office for the Diocese of Trenton. She entered the Daughters of Charity in Emmitsburg, Md., from St. Anthony’s Parish in Trenton in April 1960. Following initial formation, Sister Marie served at St. Vincent’s Infant Home in Timonium, Md.; Kennedy Child Center in New York; St. Joseph’s Villa in Richmond, Va.; Labouré Center in Boston; and Seton Center in Troy.

Sister Marie then served as executive director at Kennedy Child Study Center in New York (1981-86; where she served as the local community superior from 1984-86); and at the Astor Home for Children in Rhinebeck. (1986-92; where she served as the local community superior from 1986-92).
Sister Marie ministered as the board chair at St. Elizabeth Ann Residence in Troy (1992-93); then served at Sacred Heart Residence in Cohoes (1993); and in administration at St. Mary’s Hospital in Rochester (1993-2000; where she served as local community superior from 1997-2000). Sister Marie next served at the DePaul Provincial House in Albany (2000); Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Parish in Bayside (May to August 2000); Sisters Hospital in Buffalo (2000-05); and as an educator and trustee at St. Vincent’s College in Bridgeport, Conn. (2005-13). In July 2013, Sister Marie returned to Albany where she served in the ministry of prayer at St. Louise House until the time of her death.

Sister Marie was predeceased by her parents; her two sisters, Patricia Guscior and Jeanne DeVaney; and her brother, Father John Burns, SJ. She is survived by her brother, Joseph Burns; four nieces and one nephew; many friends, and her Sisters in Community.

A Mass of Christian Burial was held Aug. 6 in the St. Louise House Chapel followed by interment at St. Agnes Cemetery in Albany. Donations may be made to the Daughters of Charity, 4330 Olive St., St. Louis, Mo., 63108